OHIP coverage for optometry services:
- Children 0 to 19 years old: An annual, full comprehensive eye examination plus any follow-up assessments that may be required.
- Seniors aged 65 +: An annual, full comprehensive eye examination plus any follow-up assessments that may be required.
- Adults aged 20 to 64 years: OHIP does not cover comprehensive eye examinations for this age group. These individuals have private insurance coverage or pay out-of-pocket. Some exceptions to OHIP coverage apply depending on the medical condition. Ask your optometrist if you qualify.
Some optometric services NOT covered by OHIP:
- Additional comprehensive eye exams during the same year of an OHIP-covered exam
- Eye examinations that are required by potential employers or other third parties
- Contact lens fitting exams and progress checks
- Retinal imaging (such as retinal photography, ocular coherence tomography, Heidelberg retinal tomography, etc)
- Laser refractive surgery co-management (pre- and post-operative) visits
- Treatments, such as:
- Contact lenses
- Low vision aids
- Vision Therapy (Eye co-ordination exercises)
- Medications to manage diseases of the eye and surrounding tissues